"Although at that time a meeting house had not yet been built here in Friedberg,
" Marie Elisabeth Spach's memoir relates, "for her and her husband it was
not too much to make a trip of 14 miles, and indeed often on foot, in order
to attend the Sunday meetings of the Gemeine in Bethabara."
With such dedication as Marie Elisabeth and her husband Adam Spach had, it
was appropriate that the first preaching service the Moravian Church held
"below the Ens" - or South Fork - was at their home on Tuesday, November
It was several years before a meetinghouse was proposed, and several more
years before it was built and first used with a lovefeast on March 11, 1769,
and consecration of the building the next day. Several South Fork families
were organized as a Moravian society on February 4, 1770. A school was begun,
and the first Easter service on the graveyard was held that April 15. Three
years later, on April 4, 1773, the congregation was formally organized with
the name Friedberg - Hill of Peace. Maria Elisabeth and Adam Spach finally
had a nearby church.
From its beginning, growth has been a hallmark of Friedberg. A second church
was built and consecrated on March 12, 1788, and a third church consecrated
on July 28, 1827. This one served through several renovations until it was
removed in 1976 for the congregations current sanctuary, a handsome 600-seat
structure that was dedicated in a week of services January 6-13, 1980.
Growth also came through the Sunday school. The Charity Sunday School was
organized on September 30, 1827, and classes were held in the church until
a large two-story Sunday school annex was added in 1921. A Christian education
building was completed in 1967, and a splendid family life center was dedicated
on October 31, 1999. Sunday school also had Friedberg growing beyond its
walls, for both Enterprise and Advent Moravian Churches trace their beginnings
to being Sunday schools of Friedberg.
Moravian Archives, 2002